I just discovered jaaksi.blogspot.com , which is a blog by Ari Jaaksi who's the head of Nokia's Open Source projects. Most significant news from him is that an updated OS for the Nokia N800 with plenty of improvements, especially in video rendering, is near. OTOH, some of what they think of as great advances are mighty retarded; e.g., Ogg Vorbis support! Are you kidding -- you released a media player that doesn't already have that? I just now discovered that my HE-AAC files aren't recognized, and I still maintain that that is the codec best suited to devices like this.
I'm irritated by levels of complication getting software to run. I installed fbReader expecting I could use it with the many free Mobipocket books, but fbReader wants me to specify a startup directory in a directory structure that I cannot understand. I had the books placed on the SD card, but I do now recall that Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC didn't like having them there, also, and wanted them in the Documents area of main memory. And I still think Microsoft Reader is terrific and all others are also-rans. But, Nokia's PDF viewer is impressive, so, that might be satisfactory for some books.
I'm guessing that Nokia cannot directly collude with Videolan.org because of disputes over codec rights, but not having something as adaptable as was the BetaPlayer for Windows Mobile is a huge liability. I know that this N800 hardware could do a fine job on music and video because that BetaPlayer did so with far slower processors. I see corecodec.org has devolved into coreplayer.com, with descendants of BetaPlayer now sold for $20 for Win Mobile and Palm, and a Symbian version is said imminent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment