Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Museum of Modern Beta (republish from LJ)

The Museum of Modern Betas is such a great site. I forgot the name of the online spreadsheet I registered in just two days ago, had failed to save password info locally, couldn't find it in history, and Google searches went unavailing. Searching for "spreadsheet" at MOMB immediately identified it as Editgrid; obviously Editgrid is doing a poor job in search engine optimization and PR. Investigating the others will be today's task. This could be interesting since I don't have others' preconceptions. I'd like something that teaches me math analysis the way my HP-41C once did.


This is one area where oh-so-web1.0 Yahoo really could be a factor. I'm no accountant and the internal logic of Excel and kin isn't how my mind works. But I occasionally use a spreadsheet as a calculator to create weightings for stocks in an industry I'll call "Au," for instance, and then set some date as index base 100. Making it a "Portfolio" in Yahoo Finance, one then has a great view of how one particular industry is doing. With Opera and Firefoxen under 1.6, one can display the Yahoo portfolios in a sidebar. I should make a screen capture to show how cool that is. I sent a note to one Flock person about how cool it would be to integrate auto-refreshed Yahoo stock quotes in a sidebar since they're close with Yahoo. Lamentably, sidebar functionality is pretty much gone in Flock 0.7+.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: